Posted on: July 15, 2020 | by: Chloe Moore
It’s time to move again. That means sorting, packing, donating, selling, storing and packing some more. And not only do you have to pack every item you own, but you also have to decide what to pack everything in! To help make your packing experience a little easier, we’ve created a guide to the best storage containers for moving. Check out the list below to see which containers are right for each of your possessions.
Best Storage Containers for Moving
- Standard cardboard boxes: There’s a reason these are the most common moving boxes. Depending on the size of the space you’re moving to, cardboard boxes cost between $35-$100 on average. Luckily, many sites like Craigslist and Freecycle often have cheaper options available (including free boxes). They also come in a variety of sizes, making it easier to find a place for everything. Use smaller boxes for heavier items such as books or glass décor. Large boxes are perfect for bulkier items like comforters and pillows, and everything else can go in medium boxes. They’re also easy to label quickly with a permanent marker. Just remember to keep a roll of packing tape handy to keep the bottoms from spilling open and dropping all your belongings.
- Heavy-duty cardboard boxes: Double-wall, corrugated cardboard boxes are much sturdier than their common counterparts. A standard cardboard box can carry up to 65 lbs. while a large heavy-duty box can hold 80 lbs. They also stack better, which is ideal for moving trucks heading out of state or if you know your items will be in their boxes for a while after the move. However, they also generally cost twice as much as a standard cardboard box, so be sure to adjust your budget for these.
- Wardrobe boxes: If you have a lot of hanging clothes that you’d rather not fold, a wardrobe box is what you’re looking for. These tall cardboard boxes have a metal bar across the top so you can place hangers easily on them. Because they’re so tall, you can also place shoes and accessories in the bottom. Think of them as a movable closet. When everything’s inside, simply fold the top flaps over, and you’re ready to go.
- File storage boxes: A file storage box is perfect for moving lighter, more sensitive items such papers, files or photographs. Because they come with a fitted top, you don’t have to worry about things falling out. The built-in hand slots make them a breeze to carry, as well. You may also want to use them for moving loose odds and ends thanks to these helpful features. However, because they’re specialized, they’re going to be a little more expensive than standard cardboard boxes.
- Plastic moving boxes: If you want to keep using your boxes long after moving, consider plastic storage bins. You can continue using these for years to come as a storage solution for seasonal items, children’s toys and storage unit boxes. So why doesn’t everyone just use plastic storage bins for moving? They’re significantly more expensive. While using standard cardboard boxes can cost you $100, using only plastic moving boxes can set you back upwards of $900. If you don’t plan to keep all the plastic bins afterwards, that also means they’re less eco-friendly. Cardboard breaks down and decomposes over time, but plastic is forever.
Using just one of these types of boxes probably won’t cover all your belongings. For a successful move, you’ll most likely want to use a combination of these best storage containers.
Moving Your Belongings into Storage with Find Self Storage
You may find that your new home doesn’t have quite enough storage space for your belongings. (This isn’t surprising as the average household owns 300,000 items.) If you find yourself running out of space in Louisiana or Texas, Find Self Storage can help! Use our storage unit size guide to find your ideal storage space for all your belongings. And before you start loading your items into your unit, check out our tips for packing and storage.