Packing and Storage Tips
Looking for storage unit packing and storage tips? This section covers common tips and tricks for packing and self storage, all of which are designed to help you get the most out of your storage unit rental. Check out our list below, and if you have any further questions feel free to contact us at one of our storage facilities near you in Texas and Louisiana!
9 Packing Tips for an Easier Move
Items that are packed incorrectly have a greater chance of getting damaged while in transition to the storage facility. Before you begin packing items for your storage unit rental, check out these packing tips!
- Tip Number 1: Make packing easier by planning ahead. Gather up plenty of sturdy, corrugated cartons, packing paper, bubble wrap, sealing tape and marker pens, along with any furniture covers.
- Tip Number 2: Wrap furniture legs with protective bubble wrap, furniture covers or pads to prevent scratching. Leave slipcovers on upholstered chairs and cover them with plastic chair covers. Tape or tie bed rails together. Mark the pieces for easier assembly later.
- Tip Number 3: Label boxes on all sides for easy identification. Keep a list (as well as pictures and descriptions) at your home or office for reference. Mark clearly all boxes containing fragile items. Make sure fragile boxes are placed on top of heavier, less delicate boxes.
- Tip Number 4: Use valuable space inside dresser drawers and larger appliances, such as stoves and refrigerators, to store small items such as towels, linens and small, fragile items.
- Tip Number 5: Pack heavy items such as books and tools in small boxes. For easier handling, limit the weight of all cartons, regardless of size, to 30 pounds or less.
- Tip Number 6: Clean and dry appliances before storing. During transport, tape all doors shut. Don’t forget to later wedge them open for storage.
- Tip Number 7: Pack books flat to protect their spines. Line cartons with plastic and fill empty spaces with packing paper.
- Tip Number 8: Use lots of paper to pack dishes and glassware. Place a layer of packing paper inside the bottom and top of cartons. Wrap each dish and glass separately and cushion them with crumpled paper. Plates are best stacked on edge.
- Tip Number 9: Pad mirrors and paintings with paper. Place them in special mirror packs or large boxes; mark boxes.
- Tip Number 10: Before moving and storing your mattress, give it a thorough cleaning using an upholstery cleaner. Once it is clean, use a mattress cover to protect it during the move.
Get the Most Out of Your Self Storage Rental with These Storage Tips
Keep your items in the best condition possible by following these self storage tips!
- Tip Number 1: Store items you’ll need most often at the front of the self storage unit.
- Tip Number 2: When you pack your storage unit, create a center aisle for access to all items.
- Tip Number 3: Do not place boxes directly on concrete floors, but use pallets or skids to allow air flow around and under items.
- Tip Number 4: If you’re storing tables and other furniture, remove legs and store tabletops and sofas on end, to save space.
- Tip Number 5: Old photographs tend to curl over time. To keep them flat, place them between two pieces of cardboard and tape them together.
- Tip Number 6: Drain gasoline and oil from lawn mowers and other items with small engines.
- Tip Number 7: Mattresses should be covered and stored flat on level surfaces.
- Tip Number 8: Use protective covers and treat wood surfaces before storing.
- Tip Number 9: When storing metal items, to slow rust, wipe all metal surfaces with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil.
- Tip Number 10: Pack blankets, draperies, and dress clothes on the hanger in a wardrobe box.
- Tip Number 11: Always use high quality locks on your unit. Locks are available for sale-just ask your site manager for a recommendation.
- Tip Number 12: Always use climate control for humidity sensitive items.
Reserve Your Storage Unit Today!
Looking for a self storage unit near you? Find Self Storage has storage facilities in Dallas, TX, Carrollton, TX, Plano, TX, Leesville, LA and Alexandria, LA on Windermere Blvd and Lodi Rd. Reserve a storage unit today!
How many ounces are there in a pound?