The Top Tips for Storing a Mattress
With proper care, a mattress can last for up to 10 years. This means that at some point in your life, you will most likely find yourself in a situation where you need to move or store your mattress. Whether you are moving your mattress into a new home, or storing it in a storage unit, it is important to prepare your mattress for the move and store it with care.
- Clean the Mattress: Clean both sides of the mattress with an upholstery cleaner. After the mattress has dried, vacuum both sides to remove any pet hair, dirt or lint.
- Use a Mattress Cover for Moving: It is important to protect your mattress during the move. Any moisture or dirt that gets on your mattress can form mold or mildew. Purchase a breathable plastic mattress cover and tape the edges down to keep it secure.
- Store Your Mattress Flat: While it is okay to move a mattress on its side, it is important to only store it flat. Think about it, a mattress is made to lay flat. Storing a mattress on its side for an extended period of time can result in the mattress becoming disfigured or ruined.
- Do Not Store Anything on top of the Mattress: While a mattress that is laying horizontal may seem like optimal storage space, overtime, storing items on top of your mattress can result in damage to the springs.
- Do Not Store Your Mattress in Your Basement or Attic: An empty corner of the basement or the attic may seem like a great spot for storing your mattress, but doing so can cause mold or mildew to form. Mold and mildew thrive in dark, damp locations, namely, your basement or attic. Instead of storing your mattress in a basement or attic, consider a climate controlled storage unit. A climate controlled storage unit will maintain a range of temperature and humidity ideal for the storage of sensitive items.
How to Remove a Mattress from Storage
Whenever it’s time to remove your mattress from storage, give it some time to breathe without the mattress cover before you use it. To remove any odors, you can also sprinkle baking soda on it and then vacuum it up with a vacuum cleaner.
Use Find Self Storage for all of Your Household Storage Needs
Are you interested in renting a storage unit to store your mattress? Find Self Storage has locations all throughout Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas, ready to meet any of your household storage needs. We have units ranging in sizes from 10X5 storage units to 10X30 storage units, so whether the storage need is big or small, we’ve got you covered. Are you interested in learning more about a storage unit rental for your mattress or other household items? Contact us today!