Posted on: January 24, 2020 | by: Chloe Moore
Benefits of Moving in the Winter
Believe it or not, there are several benefits to moving in the winter. While summer is a popular time for a move due to nice weather and school schedules, there are several reasons why people choose to move during the winter time. Keep reading to discover a few reasons why, along with some tips to make your winter move go smoothly.
3 Advantages of Moving During the Winter Season
- You can save money. Since most people move in the spring and summer, your moving expenses will be much lower. Winter is considered the slow season when it comes to real estate, so if you’re buying a home, you have a better chances of negotiating a lower price. Additionally, moving companies tend to cut their prices during the offseason, and it’ll be much easier to find packing materials or rent a storage unit if needed.
- More flexibility and less competition: If you’re using a professional moving company, you should have no trouble scheduling the exact time and day you’d like for your move. In the spring or summer, you’d likely have to accept whatever opening the company gives you. There should also be less traffic on the road for your move, and you won’t have to compete with other families moving items in and out of self-storage.
- Your belongings could be safer. Most of the country experiences scorching-hot temperatures in the summer. Not only is this uncomfortable for you, but your belongings can suffer in the heat as well. Items like food, toiletries, candles, and other perishable belongings might not survive a move in the middle of the summer. When you move and store items in the winter, you won’t have to worry about your stuff melting or overheating.
5 Winter Moving Tips
Have you decided to take on the challenge of moving in the winter? If so, here are a few tips that will help ensure an easy and smooth move:
- Get help: If you’re unable to get professional movers, recruit your friends and family to help with the move. Don’t go it alone.
- Dress in layers: If the temperatures are dropping, you’ll want to protect your skin against the cold. If you start to sweat or get hot, you can always remove a layer to keep yourself comfortable.
- Protect your furniture: Consider wrapping your furniture for transport, especially if rain or snow is in the forecast for your moving day. The wrap will protect it from moisture as well as any scratches or damage.
- Plan for the darkness: In the winter, we experience less daylight hours – something to think about as your schedule your move. With fewer hours of sun, you may have to split your move into more than one day so you’re not loading clothes and furniture after the sun goes down.
- Drive carefully: If it’s below freezing in your area, be careful with navigating slippery roads. Even the most seasoned drivers can be challenged by icy streets.
Storage for All Seasons at Find Self Storage
No matter which you season you relocate, renting a storage unit should be high on your moving checklist. Whether you just need a place to store items for a few months while you get settled, or if you need a long-term space to put your stuff – a storage unit rental is the perfect solution. If you opt for a winter move, you’ll want to seek out climate-controlled units so you won’t risk damage to your belongings from the cold or moisture.
Find Self Storage has storage facilities in Dallas, TX, Carrollton, TX, Plano, TX, Leesville, LA and Alexandria, LA on Windermere Blvd and Lodi Rd. Reserve your storage unit rental well ahead of your move so that you have plenty of wiggle room before the big day!