Posted on: April 25, 2018 | by: Paul Darden
The Top Tips for Moving a Couch into a Storage Unit
You love your couch, and there’s no place like spending a day or evening lounging on it. Maybe you have had it since you were in college, and as the years passed, you have grown attached. Or, maybe it is a unique piece you picked up for a past home decorating project. Regardless, it has provided you with a comfortable seat for as long as you can remember. But while you aren’t ready to part with your couch permanently, it doesn’t belong in your home right now. And that’s okay because you know that when you properly store your couch, it will always be there for you when you’re ready to welcome it back into your home.
If you’re looking to move and store your couch, follow these tips!
How to Store a Couch in a Storage Unit
- Measure Your Couch: Before you move your couch, it is important to know how big it is. Knowing the dimensions of your couch in comparison to your hallways and entrances will help prevent you from having a mishap while you move it.
- Clean the Couch: Vacuum all of the surfaces of the couch to remove any crumbs, dirt or pet hair. Any traces of food, hair or body oils can deteriorate the couch over time. Once the couch is vacuumed, use an upholstery cleaner to clean it. If you are moving a leather couch, use a leather cleaner and conditioner to prepare your couch for storage.
- Disassemble the Furniture: In order to avoid damage during the move, break your couch down into smaller parts. If the legs of the couch are removable, disassemble them as well. Place all of the screws, bolts and legs together in a bag. Removing the cushions from the couch will also make it lighter and therefore easier to move.
- Use a Furniture Cover for Storage: In order to protect your couch during storage, utilize a furniture cover for storage. As dust, dirt and moisture settle on your furniture, it can deteriorate the quality of your furniture. Prevent this from happening by using a furniture cover for storage. When purchasing a furniture cover, choose one that is made out of a heavy cloth material. Never use a plastic furniture cover when storing your couch because it can trap moisture and cause mold or mildew to form. If your couch is leather, it is even more important that you utilize a furniture cover for leather couches to protect it from scratches during the move.
- Use a Climate Controlled Storage Unit: Over time, fluctuations in temperature can cause leather or wooden furniture to become warped or cracked. As the temperature drops, wooden and leather furniture can freeze. As this process repeats itself over time, it can damage your furniture beyond repair. In order to prevent this from happening, utilize a climate controlled storage unit that can regulate the temperature.
Find Self Storage Has Household Storage Options
Find Self Storage has storage facilities throughout Louisiana and Texas with climate controlled storage unit options available for rental. Our facilities are located in Plano, TX, Dallas, TX, Carrolton, TX, Leesville, LA and in Alexandria, LA on Windermere Blvd and Lodi Rd. for your convenience.
Our self storage units are offered in a variety of sizes, ranging from the 5×5 storage unit, to the much larger 5×10 and 10×10 storage unit. Are you concerned about choosing the right storage unit size? Our online storage unit calculator makes choosing the right storage unit for your unique situation a breeze.
Regardless of whether you are storing just a couch and a few other items, or full rooms of furniture, we have a storage solution for you. Contact us to rent a storage unit today!