Posted on: January 12, 2018 | by: PDCadmn01
Preparing Items for Long-Term Storage
One of the perks of choosing to store your items in a storage unit is that you decide how long your items will be stored for. So, whether you are doing home renovations and only need a storage unit for a month or two, or going out of town for an undetermined amount of time, a storage unit rental is a great solution for you. No matter how long you intend on storing an item, it is important to prepare the item for storage. This is especially true when you are storing your items long-term though, because damage can occur to your items if they are not properly prepared for storage.
Climate Controlled Storage Units for Long-Term Storage
Depending on the items you are storing, you may benefit from the rental of a climate controlled storage unit. Utilizing a climate controlled storage unit when storing more sensitive items is especially important when you are looking to store the items long-term.
Preparing Your Items for Long-Term Storage
Different items will require a different level of care before long-term storage. Find out here how to best prepare your items, and storage unit for long-term storage.
- Cover the Floor with Tarp or Pallets: Before you move into your storage unit, cover the floor with a canvas tarp or pallets. This will help to prevent your items from being exposed to moisture seeping in from the floor of your storage unit.
- Clean Out all Appliances: Thoroughly clean out all appliances with bleach or baking soda. This will kill off any bacteria that would otherwise thrive in a dark location. When storing appliances, keep the door slightly ajar to ensure moisture doesn’t get trapped inside.
- Vacuum and Seal Furniture: When storing furniture, be sure to thoroughly vacuum the furniture to remove any crumbs or pet hair. If the furniture has a wooden frame apply a furniture polish to the furniture after vacuuming it. This will help to seal the wood from moisture and prevent the formation of mold.
- Do Not Use Plastic Bags: Do not store items in plastic bags. Plastic doesn’t breathe well and can trap moisture inside of the bag with your items, resulting in the formation of mold or mildew.
- Protect and Label Fragile Items: Wrap all fragile items inside of bubble wrap or acid free paper and place them inside of a box filled with foam or packing peanuts. Boxes can shift while in storage, and this will help to protect the fragile items from any damage the shifting may cause. Additionally, label the box containing the fragile item. Even if you make a list detailing the contents of your storage unit, it can be difficult to remember where those fragile items are.
Find Self Storage Has Long-Term Storage Rental Options
Are you looking for long-term storage options in Louisiana or Texas? We have storage units ranging in sizes from the 5×5 storage unit to the 10×30 storage unit, perfect for any storage need, big or small.
Our storage facilities in Plano, TX, Dallas, TX, Carrolton, TX, Leesville, LA and in Alexandria, LA on Windermere Blvd and Lodi Rd. are equipped with state-of-the-art security systems and electronic gate access, giving our customers valuable peace of mind. Contact us today to rent a storage unit or learn more about storage rental options!