Posted on: March 15, 2018 | by: Paul Darden
How to Pack a Storage Unit
There are good ways to pack a storage unit, and there are bad ways. When getting ready to choose your storage unit and pack your items, spending the extra time doing it right will save you time in the long run. Try out these storage unit packing tips!
Storage Unit Organization Ideas and Packing Tips
- Determine How Much Space is Needed: Before choosing your storage unit, it is important to know what items you will be storing. Create a list of the items and use a self storage calculator to determine the best unit for you. Keep in mind that wasted space can be wasted money, but at the same time it is a huge inconvenience to get too small of a storage unit.
- Create a Walkway: While it can seem like a huge waste of space to create a walkway, you’ll thank yourself later when you’re trying to find the right item.
- Place the More Commonly Used Items Towards the Front: Arrange your storage unit with the more commonly used items in the front. Items you only need once a year, like seasonal clothes or decorations can be placed closer to the back of the storage unit.
- Label all Boxes: Labeling each box with a list of the contents will save you time in the long run. If the items included in the boxes are fragile, make sure to label them.
- Use Uniform Boxes: Boxes will stack the best if they are all the same size. Using the same boxes will help to keep your storage unit neat and organized.
- Group Your Storage Unit by Categories: All boxes of clothing should be placed in one section, while cups, dishes and other kitchen items should be placed in another section.
- Create a Storage Unit Map: Make a map of your storage unit and leave it at the entrance of your storage unit. This way, no matter how long it has been since you last visited your storage unit, you’ll still know where your various items are stored.
- Never Wrap Your Items in Plastic: It may seem like a good idea to use plastic to protect your items from dust, dirt or moisture during storage, but this traps moisture and can lead to damage occurring to your items.
Are You Interested in Renting a Storage Unit?
Find Self Storage has storage units ranging in sizes from the 5×5 storage unit to the 10×30 storage unit. The smaller 5×5 and 5×10 storage units are ideal for storing a few pieces of furniture, and other boxes, while the larger 10×20 and 10×30 self storage unit can store the contents of a few rooms.
Do you need help choosing the best self storage unit for you?Find Self Storage has storage facilities in Plano, TX, Dallas, TX, Carrolton, TX, Leesville, LA and in Alexandria, LA on Windermere Blvd and Lodi Rd. Contact one of our storage facilities today!