Posted on: August 10, 2017 | by: Paul Darden
Top 7 Tips for Curb Appeal
The first thing potential buyers see when pulling up to your house is the way it looks from the curb. If the front of your house isn’t appealing to buyers, they will already have a negative first impression of your property before even setting foot inside. This is why curb appeal is so important. With great curb appeal, buyers will be more interested in your home and they’ll want to explore farther than your front door.
- Paint your Front Door: Is your front door an inviting color? Is the paint old or peeling? Is it the kind of front door you would want to walk through? When in doubt, it never hurts to apply a fresh coat of paint to a door to create a crisp and clean look.
- Add Lighting: Proper lighting can really enhance the exterior of a house. Buyers like outdoor lighting features and they may look for the presence of lighted walkways or attractive fixtures.A well-lit house will portray a safe, “homey” feel, resulting in a more positive image to buyers. Consider investing in lighting features outlining any walkway, as well as one above or around your door.
- Add Plants and Grass: Before placing your home on the market, examine your front lawn. Plant new grass in sparse areas. A quick and cheap way to add color and instantly increase curb appeal is to plant flowers, bushes and trees.
- Be Critical: Act like a buyer. Walk a lap around your house and ask yourself, would you want to buy your house? Whatever problem areas you see, the buyer will also see. Small changes can go a long way to increase the market value of your house.
- Update Online Photos: In order to get people interested in your house, make sure you have current photos of your house online. If you add any features to your house, don’t forget to update the online photos. Buyers have a checklist for the features they want in a house, and you never know, your added feature may result in a buyer taking a second look at your house.
- Concentrate on All Levels: Don’t just concentrate on the eye-level view. Look up. Clogged gutters or damaged roofing tiles will be a pain point for buyers, potentially resulting in negative marks to your house. Unclogging your gutters and installing new roofing tiles will go a long way to create an image of a well put together home.
- Declutter your Front Lawn: If done well, curb appeal should create the appearance of a home buyers will find attractive and can picture themselves living in. While you may love the quirky vibe your gnome lawn ornaments bring to your yard, not all buyers will feel the same way. A great way to keep important items safe and out of a buyer’s sight is to store them in a self storage unit.
Do You Need More Space to Create Curb Appeal? Store Your Items!
A smart way to keep important items safe and out of a buyer’s sight is to store them in a self storage unit. We have storage units ranging in size from 5X5 to 10X30, perfect for any move or project. Our staff is readily available to answer any questions you may have about utilizing a storage unit. Stop in or contact us today!